Cambria and Friesland are both communities that originated and grew to service their surrounding farm economies.
Cambria began in
1844 when Welsh settlers came to the area.
Two brothers, by the name of Langdon, settled on the site of the
present village. One built a
sawmill on Duck Creek; the other opened a small stock and general store.
Four blocks were surveyed and platted, and the prospective village was
named Florence. However, most folks referred to it as Langdon’s Mill.
A Mr. Bell took over the Langdon’s milling operation in 1848 and
platted a large addition to the town. He
renamed the village Bellville. In
1851 the newest owners of the mill changed the name of the town to Cambria.
In April of 1866, the Wisconsin Legislature passed an act of
incorporation and Cambria was officially chartered as a village.
At about the same
time, more Welsh settlers established what is now Friesland.
At its beginnings, it was platted as the Village of Randolph Center.
In its early years it did not contain enough inhabitants to elect a full
set of village officers. However, Randolph
Center grew to have churches, a public schoolhouse, post office, blacksmith
and wagon shop. Between 1893 and
1910, German and Dutch settlers arrived. The
railroad came to the village about 1900 and this spurred growth.
The village was renamed in 1915 because of mail delivery problems with
the nearby Village of Randolph. Because
many of the Dutch settlers came from the Province of Friesland in the
Netherlands, the name Friesland was chosen.
Over the years both communities
have grown. Cambria and Friesland
remain strongly tied to the agricultural economy, with both heavily involved in
the vegetable canning and grain storage industries. The
communities offer modern village parks for families and local sports teams to
enjoy. Cambria features a modern
swimming pool in its park. Friesland
is known for miles around for its free, outdoor band concerts every Tuesday
night during the summer, featuring the Friesland Band.
Cambria and Friesland have merged their school facilities into a modern
school district offering a complete K-12 public education.
Cambria and Friesland offer safe, small town living with plenty to do.
|Tarrant Lake in Cambria.||Friesland Downtown Park. Ready for the Summer Band Concerts and Pie Socials on Tuesday evenings.|
|Tarrant Park in Cambria.||Cambria-Friesland Area School.|
In early 1995 a
group of businesspeople representing enterprises in Cambria, Friesland and the
surrounding townships decided to explore opportunities for collective business
and economic growth in this immediate market area. After a series of meetings and group research, the group
incorporated into the Cambria-Friesland Area Chamber of Commerce.
March of 1995
marks the official incorporation of the chamber of commerce.
Twenty-eight businesses comprised the original organization.
At that initial March general membership meeting By-Laws were voted upon
and approved. The first Board of
Directors was elected, consisting of: Wayne
Bachman, President; Carl Stiemsma, Vice president; Ken Merwin, Secretary; Joanne
Vaughan, Treasurer; Donna White, Director; Lee Jamieson, Director; and Gena Kok,
In the years since
its organization, the chamber has worked successfully to promote member
businesses, and promote the communities of Cambria and Friesland, and the
surrounding townships. Over the
years the chamber has organized and cooperatively participated in many events
and festivals that draw visitors to the area.
The chamber also installed and maintains signs on State Highway 33 that
invite travelers into the two communities.
Directory / Hall
of Fame / History
Events / Home Page / Meetings / Officers and Committees
Copyright 2001 - Part of the Valuworld.com Network of Websites