Columbia County Tourism .com

Indian Agency House

Back

 

   

The Historic Indian Agency House was built by the U.S. Government in 1832 for the Indian Agent to the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago), John Kinzie. His wife, Juliette Magill Kinzie wrote "Wau-Bun," an account of their voyage to Fort Winnebago, their home, pioneer life and the Indians. (Their granddaughter was Juliette Gordon Low, who founded the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A.)

The Agency House stands near the site of Fort Winnebago and the portage between the Fox and Wisconsin Rivers. It faces the Portage Canal that connects the two rivers. The canal was completed in 1876. The area is rich in history, Pere Marquette and Louis Joliet made the portage in 1673 and found their way to the Mississippi River.

The Agency House is on the National Register of Historic Places. It has been carefully restored and furnished with antiques, none later than 1833, the year the Kinzies left the Agency House.

The house is open May 15th-October 15th, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Sunday 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.) It is off Highway 33, one mile from downtown Portage on Agency House Road, also designated as Rustic Road Number 69. It is operated by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Wisconsin. A nominal admission fee is charged. Off Season By Appointment

Historic Indian Agency House
Portage, Wisconsin

Restored by
The National Society of Colonial Dames of America
in the State of Wisconsin

 

 

Back

Columbia County Tourism Committee affiliation.

 

Participate with ColumbiaCountyTourism.com

Copyright 2003 - Part of the Valuworld.com Network of Websites